Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Temple of the Spirit

I Cor. 7:15
Do you not know that your bodies are the members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never!
 
Paul is now dealing with the problem of sexual immorality in the Corinthian church. He said, Even though all things are lawful for me, not all things are helpful. And more importantly, he would not be enslaved by anything. For Paul his attitude was not how far can I go and still be alright with the Lord. Instead, his life was lived on a plane that considered the spiritual the first and primary area of importance. Jesus was His all, and he was all in!
 
The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. There is the principle simply and clearly stated for believers. The Lord must have control of our bodies! But as I look in my own culture, I remember years ago the free love movement, then women's lib followed erasing the bonds of women. They were out of the home and competing with the men in business and in sexual relationships. Today it has progressed to open homosexual relationships and finally to sanctioning and making legal same sex relationships. This addiction for sexual immorality is strong, growing, powerful, and unstoppable. It has become an arena where Christians will have to take a stand on the issue. Will we choose Christ keeping our members His body even if it means we are called bigots?
 
Since God raised the Lord, He will also raise us up in newness of life, a new life that transforms our bodies from the arena of rampant sexual appetites to the arena of Christ Jesus and His purity. Our members are the body  of Christ! Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! This idea is personally abhorrent to Paul and should be to all Christians! For he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with Him. His spirit will not and should not allow us to dabble in or be enslaved to sexual immorality. This sin is a sin against the person's own body, and in the case of the believer, his body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. We are not our own for we were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. Perhaps we think because we don't engage in outright sexual immorality, we are ok. But what about what we watch or listen to? Where are we taking the members of Christ? Are we living in the glorious reality of His indwelling Spirit?
 
Father,
Thank You for such a glorious transformation, for making me a member of Christ's body and for giving me Your indwelling Holy Spirit. Grow my heart so close to Jesus that all the world has to offer is abhorrent to me. Keep me close to You in all that I do and say.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment