Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Under Control

I Cor. 9:27
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
 
All runners run in a race to receive a prize at the end, but only one runner wins the perishable prize. In order for athletes to run this race, they must train endless hours and exercise great self-control in what they eat, what they do, and even how much they sleep. Their life is dedicated to this race, and nothing deters their focus!
 
Likewise, believers run a race to obtain the imperishable prize at the end, a race in which Paul included himself. Apostles were not exempt and neither are pastors, missionaries, or anyone in Christian ministry. There are no free passes. Paul stressed the fact that it was not an aimless race, but was one of purpose and planning. Likewise, he didn't box as one beating the air. His 'punches' were not without purpose because his training had made his skill on target. Paul continually disciplined his body and kept it under control. He knew what a ravenous beast the flesh could become and took no chances. Why did he do all this? Lest he would become disqualified after preaching to others. He was not excused from the race. He had no free pass. All believers must heed his example. 
  • Don't run aimlessly. Plan and be purposeful reflecting Christ in all you do, say, and think.
  • Don't box as one beating the air. Train and be skillful in what you do. Put some time into it.
  • Discipline the body and keep it under control. Leave no room for the flesh to grab even an inch of your life. Walk in, by, and through the Spirit.
  • Be aware of disqualification. No one has arrived in this life. The race goes on until Christ calls us to meet Him in the air where we will receive the imperishable crown.
How am I running? Am I aware of disciplining my body? Am I concerned about my future and my consistency?
 
Father,
I need Your grace and strength to run this race. Teach me how to discipline my body and be purposeful in what I do. I need Your grace so desperately. Thank You for Your word and the great power that lies therein.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment