Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Eating Food Offered to Idols

I Cor. 8: 13
Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
 
Paul begins this chapter by explaining that idols have no life and no power, but for the believer There is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. An idol and even what is offered to an idol can freely be eaten because an idol is empty and vacuous. However, it was not so simple in the Corinthian church. There were some believers who saw food offered to idols as sinful. So even though this actual eating is not sinful, Paul says take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
 
His concern was for the growth of the body, for each of its individual members. The body is more important that the freedom! The believer's heart should be one of care and concern not one of rampaging freedom! In fact, if this act of 'eating food offered to idols' destroys the weaker brother, then it is sin. Sinning against the weaker brother is synonymous with sinning against Christ! Paul's conclusion was:  if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. What a principle that can be applied to so many areas!
 
How loving must be all our relationships! Certainly, my heart for Jesus must be reflected in how I treat other members of the body of Christ. Nothing in this life is as important as growing together in Jesus Christ. Somehow believers get their feet too firmly planted in this life and loudly praise the freedoms they have in Christ. Then soon the body is not known for the love of Christ but for the freedoms that they cherish. Each local body of Christ becomes known by what they allow and don't allow. And before long, Christ is lost in the shuffle. How sad! How all believers need His love! And above all these, put on love which binds everything together in perfect harmony. How important to keep our eyes focused on the eternal.
 
Father,
Bind my heart in your love and let Your love flow out of me. Take my eyes off this life and place them squarely on what is eternal. Prepare me for that eternal weight of glory.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment