Monday, April 29, 2013

Favorite Verses

II Cor. 4:7
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in out bodies.
 
What a glorious treasure of grace! His grace and love indwell my mortal clay. He gives me purpose and meaning and takes away the sting of death and sin. Even in the face of affliction, perplexing details and situations, persecution, and physical abuse, He is there always to show that the surpassing power belongs to Him. How important to remember when life becomes a hard patch! Even though I only have a jar of clay to bring to God, am I willing to surrender it to God? At times, many, including myself, have held on to that clay with all our might. What is so scary about surrender? I mean what God is going to do, He will do regardless of my grip on my jar. How we kid ourselves into thinking that anything we do determines our way! I am thinking that all these negatives that come my way in life are to make me identify with the body of Jesus' suffering so that I can rid myself of sin and live in His new resurrection life.
 
II Cor. 4:16-18
 
So we do not lose hope. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
 
It seems to follow that after affliction, being perplexed, persecution, and being struck down, someone could lose hope. But God says no! He puts it all in perspective. Our outer self is wasting away; in fact, everyone's body is from the moment of birth. However, it does seem like when the circumstances are right, the wasting is accelerated. But not to worry. As the outer wastes, the inner is being renewed. God is preparing us for that eternal weight of glory. How weighty it must be!! Unimaginable!! I think the wasting away takes my gaze off the temporal and puts it on the eternal. All the affliction, being perplexed, persecution, and being struck down have a greater purpose, that is to shift my eyes to what is really important, to the eternal things and to prepare me for glory.
 
I  love these two passages! How comforting to my soul!
 
Father,
Thank You for the gift of Your word and for giving me perspective about my life and my disease. I trust You Lord, but does that mean that I won't feel bad about those I am leaving behind? Lord, comfort my heart as only You, the Father of all comfort, can do. Continue to prepare me for that eternal weight of glory.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment