Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fools for Christ

I Cor. 4:10-13
We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak but you are strong. You are held in honor but we are in disrepute. To the present hour, we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless, and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure, when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.
 
This was the life of an apostle, and sadly it was drastically different than the Corinthians. They had been listening to other guides who had led them to think disparagingly of Paul and his life and his lifestyle. So Paul speaks clearly of his life and of the lives of those who worked with him. At the end of this, he urges them to be imitators of him, to live this same lifestyle because although they have many guides they only have one father, a father who cares deeply about the welfare of their souls.
 
As I read this words, I realize that they must apply to me as well. Am I a fool for Christ, or do I value what the world thinks of me? Am I weak relying only on God's grace? Am I content to be poorly dressed, hungry and thirsty for the cause of the gospel, or do I value my creature comforts and the American standard of living? When reviled, do I bless? Sadly, how often have I even been reviled? Am I enduring through persecution and slander? Certainly, life in America is so easy. Am I awake and sensitive to the Spirit's leading in all these areas?
 
Father,
Examine my heart. Open all the closets so that my heart might be 'all in.' Give me Your grace for all situations including illness, slander, and persecution (when it comes). Keep me awake ever watchful for opportunities and for temptation.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment