Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Home

II Cor. 5:9
So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please Him.
 
I don't need to be concerned about the destruction of my earthly home, my earthly body. If disease or affliction ravage it, it is of no consequence because I have a heavenly home, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. While I am still in this body-home, I groan for that heavenly life so that my mortality may be swallowed by life, a life where I am no longer plagued by sin and weakness, a life where I will be praising my God eternally. Who has given me this great gift of life in heaven? God Himself! How can I be assured  of this home? He has given me the indwelling Holy Spirit as a guarantee. He teaches, convicts, guides, leads, and intercedes for me. He grows me into my life in Christ. So whether I am at home in this body, or I am at home in heaven, I can be courageous because God Himself has formed my life plan. Wherever I am, it is my goal to please Him!
 
I know that this passage makes all this clear, and I know equally well how frustrating and defeating it is to be plagued by sin, but still at the same time, there is a strong pull for this life, for family and friends, for milestones and memories, and for meaning and purpose. Why am I so rooted in this life? I know that I will have to trust God that His timing will be best for me. I will have to trust Him for the grace to have a joyous heart, but this recent bout with my disease has made me see so clearly how I long for the things I would miss if He were to take me home today. At the same time, I think of the glories of heaven! How small are the milestones of life in comparison to the glories of heaven.! How strong is my puny flesh! 
 
Father,
Strengthen me according to Your power, according to Your glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy. Fill me with Your knowledge in all spiritual wisdom and understanding so I might walk in a manner worthy of You, fully pleasing to You bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. Focus my eyes on You constantly. Take them off my earthly home.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment