Friday, September 5, 2014

Let Us Run

Heb. 12:1-2
Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin, which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 

Chapter 12 begins with a huge connection to chapter 11. The great a cloud of witnesses that surround us are the people mentioned in Chapter 11, those who were known for their great faith, those who believed without seeing, and those who suffered greatly waiting for Christ, the Messiah. Even though we have Christ's words and His great grace with us constantly, you would think that we would be able to lay aside the weights of sin that hinder our walk. Sadly, many times we are defeated because of our vision. We get too focused on the here and know, on all the menial tasks of the day, or on all the good things offered to us [even though these things are good they are not the best thing]. 

Instead our focus should be looking forward to the joy of being in heaven with Christ.We must realize that the Christian life [the race that is set before us] requires endurance. It is no cake walk! Because Christ was focused on the joy set before Him, He was able to endure the cross and His separation from the Father, and pay the penalty for the sins of the world. It was His endurance that offers saving grace for us each day. Jesus made it all possible! Likewise, our vision should be constantly on Him! When the time was right Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, went to heaven to be seated at the right hand of the throne of God. His task was completed once and for all. What love is this! 

So I must examine my life, my priorities, my necessities, my duties, my possessions, my expenses, my giving, etc. The list goes on and on, but the point is am I looking forward to Christ? Am I enduring the walk, the particular set of circumstances that God has for me? Am I laying aside the weights or am I trying to get rid of some weights but cling to a precious few? 

Father,
Thank You for these verses, for the great cloud of witnesses that are watching, and for Your Son who radically changed my life. Through Your great grace and mercy help me to run the race. Show me the weights, soften my heart to be willing to leave them behind, and then grant me repentance. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment