Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Judge

James 5:9
 Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door.

I wonder if we who have been saved by grace and live daily through this grace have a clear concept of the judgment of God. When I read those words, the Judge is standing at the door. What does it mean to me? As I read Jer. 6, I see  some great images of God as the judge. 

 "I have made you a tester of metals among my people [the prophet], that you may know and test their ways. They are all stubbornly rebellious, going about with slanders; they are bronze and iron; all of them act corruptly. The bellows blow fiercely; the lead is consumed by the fire; in vain the refining goes on, for the wicked are not removed.  Rejected silver they are called, for the LORD has rejected them." Ouch! To be known as rejected silver is horrendous! 

 As a well keeps its water fresh, so she keeps fresh her evil; violence and destruction are heard within her; sickness and wounds are ever before me. 8 Be warned, O Jerusalem, lest I turn from you in disgust, lest I make you a desolation, an uninhabited land." 

 Therefore I am full of the wrath of the LORD; I am weary of holding it in. "Pour it out upon the children in the street, and upon the gatherings of young men, also; both husband and wife shall be taken, the elderly and the very aged. Their houses shall be turned over to others, their fields and wives together, for I will stretch out my hand against the inhabitants of the land," declares the LORD. ... Hear, O earth; behold, I am bringing disaster upon this people, the fruit of their devices, because they have not paid attention to my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it.

God does not take it lightly when His word is not taken seriously. He will judge. We have history to see how God dealt with His people. Are we so foolish to think it we are above judgment? Rom. 1120-23 can answer that question.

 That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear.  For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off.s

Father,
Such stern words! Lord, I want to be faithful to You without doubting. I love Your grace, mercy, and steadfast love, but at the same time I know You are a judge. Teach me to be as You would have me be.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment