Wednesday, September 28, 2011

As One Man

Neh. 7:1-3
"And all the people gathered as one man into the square before the Water Gate. And they told Ezra the scribe to bring the Book of the Law of Moses that the LORD had commanded Israel. So Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, both men and women and all who could understand what they heard, on the first day of the seventh month. And he read from it facing the square before the Water Gate from early morning until midday, in the presence of the men and the women and those who could understand. And the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law."

What a picture of unity--all the people gathering as one man, and for what purpose? To hear the Word of God! As Ezra read from the scroll from early morning until midday, the people remained attentive. I find it interesting that their ears were attentive. It was like they were so hungry to hear that their ears became more important than any other body part. There was no boredom or complaining that they were standing too long. Their total focus was hearing God's word.
 
Then as Ezra blessed the Lord, the people said, Amen, Amen. They agreed that such a great God who had shown so much mercy and love must be blessed, but Ezra told the people to stop their weeping because the day was holy. Why would they be weeping? Would they be seeing their true condition in light of God's words? Would their sin and the sin of their fathers be so overwhelming that they could do nothing but weep? But God has promised that those who mourn will be comforted. They were comforted because the joy of the Lord was their strength. (This joy and strength is my comfort too.) All the people went their way to eat, drink, send portions, and rejoice because they had understood the words of the Lord. What a blessing to understand the words of God!
 
On the 24th day of the month, the people gathered again with fasting and sackcloth to stand and confess their sins and the sins of their fathers. The stood up in their place and read from the book for a quarter of the day and then confessed for a quarter of the day. What a fitting response to the Word! This was half the day with no mention of fatigue! Certainly, listening and confessing takes time. How much time do I spend in confession? As I read, I should see myself in relationship to the holiness of God. In light of His presence, I am abundantly poor in spirit and full of sin. I should mourn for that sin, a mourning that should take time, but the end result is praise and thanksgiving for His grace. And that is exactly what happened next. The people were instructed to stand up and bless the Lord Your God from everlasting to everlasting. Blessed be Your glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise.
 
What a pattern of corporate worship as well as personal worship! For the body of believers, it begins with unity as we draw near to listen to God's words followed by mourning and weeping over sin, then comfort in understanding His words which leads to confession and finally praise and thanksgiving. Personally, my focus must begin with a heart united to His. I must see my life and my purpose as bringing glory to Him alone. To do this I must acknowledge my need and poverty of spirit. I must confess my sin, boasting in my weakness so that the power of God may be glorified. My worship must culminate in blessing His glorious name because His power is perfected in my weakness, His grace is made strong in my dependence, His Spirit lives in my surrender.
 
Father,
Help me to listen with open ears and a receptive heart. Teach me what it means to be poor in spirit and to mourn for that sin. Make Your grace and power a reality in my life as You teach me to surrender completely.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment