Monday, September 19, 2011

Identity

Ezra 5:11
" And this was their reply to us: 'We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth, and we are rebuilding the house that was built many years ago, which a great king of Israel built and finished."

When asked who they were, the rebuilders of the temple replied, 'We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth." Their identity was no longer individual. Instead the unity of the task had consumed their lives. They were servant-builders with a singular God-given task. They definitely felt the call of God upon their lives, but I think that their history made their call that much more urgent. They knew and frequently rehearsed the details of their exile. They had angered the God of heaven by their rebellious disobedience, and He had allowed them to be carried away to Babylon. Not only that but the temple itself had been destroyed as had all its gold and silver implements. With this knowledge ever in their minds and hearts, their fervor to rebuild could not be diminished.
 
The same goes for believers. With the memory of my old life and nature and my bondage to the flesh, I now move on with a heart filled with thankfulness, a heart with a burning desire to share Jesus with others, to harvest and spread His kingdom, and to eagerly await His return. Like these exiles, I should always be a servant of God first and foremost. My life is changed now. When he reconciled me, He ended my exile and made me not only His servant but His child. I am looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.
Father,
Keep my servant hood ever before me. Help me to share and build Your kingdom.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment