Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tactics of the Enemy

Neh. 6:9
"For they all wanted to frighten us, thinking, "Their hands will drop from the work, and it will not be done." But now, O God, strengthen my hands."

Nehemiah and his crew were working diligently on the wall. In fact, there were no breaches left in the wall, but the doors were not set up. At this point Sanballat and Tobiah began their campaign to stop the final completion of the wall. Their initial step began with a series of letters inviting Nehemiah to come and talk with them in the plain of Ono. But the truth was, they intended to do him harm. Nehemiah simply replied, "I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?" What a truthful response that examines the true motives of the situation! No hedging and no counter tactics, just the simple truth! But Sanballat and Tobiah were determined. They sent letters three more times which Nehemiah faithfully answered in the same way. His task could not be stopped. He was faithful to God's calling and the task at hand. He would not be deterred. 

On the fifth letter, Sanballat stepped up his tactics. In an opened letter, he fabricated a rebellion and dumped it in Nehemiah's lap saying that the Persian nations believed he was inciting a rebellion. Sanballat posed as a friend of the Persians and of Nehemiah. He offered to talk through the situation to help him figure out what to do. But why did he leave the letter opened? No doubt, to breed fear among Nehemiah's workers. But his ruse did not work. Nehemiah knew instantly that he had invented the entire scenario. He told Sanballat that his scare tactics were ineffective. He and the people would not stop their hands from working. Instead Nehemiah prayed asking God to strengthen their hands.  I love the contrast in Nehemiah's choices.On one hand, Sanballat and a fabricated rebellion and offer of help, and on the other hand, obedience to God and prayer for strength. Nehemiah's spiritual vision was spot on. He chose God.

Sanballat doesn't stop there. He engaged the help of a false prophet to go into Jerusalem and prophesy. Even though it is a prophet (of sorts), Nehemiah didn't waiver for a moment. He responded with , "Should such a man as I run away? And what man such as I could go into the temple and live? I will not go in." What resolve! Nehemiah understood that God had not sent this prophet. Once again, instead of being afraid, Nehemiah prayed. "Remember Tobiah and Sanballat, according to these things that they did..and also the prophet Noadiah..." Whoops, that plan backfired!!

In the face of all this interference, the wall was finished. The task was accomplished. And when all the nations heard it, they were afraid for they knew that it had all been done with the help of God! Poor Tobiah, he even began sending more letters again. He so wanted to make Nehemiah afraid. Little did he know, that God was Nehemiah's light and salvation.  I am sure that Nehemiah echoed the words of David, "The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" He did not fear what man would do to him!

Father,
Teach me to be discerning when people, things, and situations come into my life. Open my eyes to see the truth of motives and know Your will and directions. Keep me unafraid and trusting in You, my light, my salvation,and my stronghold.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment