Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Heart Set

Ezra 7:10
For Ezra set his heart to study the Law of the Lord, and to do it and to teach His statutes and rules in Israel.
 
Every heart is set on something. Some hearts are set on laying up treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal while other hearts are loving the world and the things in the world. For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires... Still others are in the pursuit of fitness, running, working out, faithfully building up their bodies, but bodily exercise profits little. Not to say it's not good for you, but in the long run, it is short lived. Others live for family focusing their lives around quality time, camping, and a plethora of activities. Sadly, some even structure their lives around entertainment and amusement. Buying big, expense toys, or indulging whatever is the newest thing. The heart of man wants to be set on something. It is structured that way because God has put something in man, an emptiness that can only be filled by Him, but man, instead of going to the all-satisfying One, tries to fill that void with so many other things. So sad! What is even sadder is that many Christians go down these same futile paths! But that was not for Ezra. He had set his heart to study the Law of the Lord, and to do it and to teach His statutes and rules in Israel. What a great example! His life was consumed with His God. Was this an easy task for Ezra? No, his journey would have many dangers as he brought the exiles back to Jerusalem. But he took courage because the hand of the Lord His God was on Him, and he gathered leading men from Israel to go up with him. At one point on the journey, he proclaimed a fast so that the people might humble themselves before God and ask for a safe journey. He had not asked for soldiers, but instead he had told the king that the hand of His God was on all who seek Him and the power of His wrath was against all who forsake Him. Now the time had come. So they fasted and implored their God for safe passage. Did He answer? Yes, God listened! I love how Ezra seems to be so human. He had said these monumental things about God, things that he knew were true, but when it came to making them a reality, he was a little concerned, a little fearful. His fear was surfacing, but instead of indulging that fear, he cried out to God praying and fasting. His heart was set on God! He would not waver even when the enemy was close. The result: The hand of our God was on us, and He delivered us from the hand of the enemy and from ambushes by the way. What a faith walk with a heart set on God! For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?
 
Where is my heart set? What do I think about? What consumes my mind and my passion? If I do exercise, does it have its rightful place? The same goes for many activities that are not bad in themselves, but only become questionable when they take over my mind set. Am I relying on God to accomplish what He says He will do? Am I letting fear, busyness, mundane tasks, or even things I enjoy take over time that I could be setting my heart on Him, studying His word, praying, and sharing Him with those He brings across my path?
 
Father,
Give me strength to set my heart on You without wavering. Make me bold and wise to share You everywhere that I go. Give me a focus that goes immediately to You and not to my human default.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment