Monday, September 10, 2012

Abiding

Jn. 15:4-5
Abide in me, and I in You. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
 
 
Abiding in the vine is the only place that a branch can be since abiding any other place would be death for the branch. In fact, the branch must be so connected that it can not go on a vacation from the vine even for a day without disastrous results. Such is the closeness that I have with Jesus, my Vine. This abiding brings certain blessings as:
  • Fruit bearing-evidence of growth
  • Safety from the fires of destruction-saved and sealed eternally
  • Pruning-Ouch, but produces more growth
  • Answered prayer-the way to have my mind in sync with the mind of Christ
  • Glorifying the Father-my supreme goal
  • Proof of discipleship-security and belonging
  • Obedience to His commands-holiness and sanctification
  • His joy will be in me-joy in the good times and the hard times
  • Love others-outflowing from abiding to others, love them as He would
  • More than a servant, now a friend-to be a friend of Jesus is almost more than I can understand
  • Chosen by Him and appointed to bear fruit-this is my reason for existence
  • Abiding fruit-my fruit will remain, not withering or getting a blight
  • Hatred from the world-hard times refine and purify
  • Persecution-but not forsaken, carrying in my body the death of Jesus
  • Know the Father-Jesus takes me into relationship with the Father
  • Given the Helper, the Spirit of Truth who comes from the Father-the Comforter
  • Helper bears witness of Jesus-the Spirit teaches me of Jesus
  • We also will bear witness of Jesus-I also witness about Jesus
  • Keeps me from falling away-eliminates the fear of loss, won't ever happen
Most of the ideas developed in Jn. 15 are perceived as blessings, but what about pruning, hatred and persecution. Can they be called blessings? Insomuch that those things would draw us closer to Jesus and the Father, would make us rely on His strength and power, and would be the testing of our faith by fire to prove its genuineness, then they are blessings too! All that comes from the Father's hand is for my good because I love Him and want His purposes accomplished in my life. No doubt, abiding changes the way that my mind and spirit perceive events. In Acts they rejoiced because they were counted worthy to suffer for the name of Jesus. It's definitely hard for me to understand, but I must trust Him for whatever abiding brings. All these things are not just blessings or results of abiding, but they can not be accomplished without abiding. I must think abiding, desire abiding, pray for abiding, seek grace and strength to abide, and obey and follow His leading to obey, and all of this through His great grace and power.
 
Father,
Teach me more each day what it means to abide. Make me truly a friend that values friendship with Jesus. Take away worldly desires that detract from time with You and Jesus. Sharpen my inner man to hear the Spirit's every whisper.
In Jesus name,
Amen
     


No comments:

Post a Comment