Sunday, September 2, 2012

Light, Life, and Resurrection

Jn. 11:9-10
But if anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.
 
Lazarus was ill to the point of death, but when Jesus heard it, He knew it was an illness to be used for the glory of God. After purposely staying away 2 days longer, He began His journey to Bethany, to awaken Lazarus. But Jesus' disciples were very concerned about traveling there since the Jews in Judea were seeking to kill Him. Jesus tried to reassure His disciples by emphasizing that there was no chance of stumbling, of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when they were walking in the light. Jesus was definitely walking in the light because He was the Light! I don't think that the disciples were convinced because Thomas said, "Let us also go with Him that we may die with Him." So close to the Light, yet not fully understanding. So close to the light, yet not resting in its illuminating power. I am sure that many times I am like Thomas. I know all these great truths about Jesus and believe in them wholeheartedly, but I walk like I am expecting the heavy to fall, like Jesus is powerless in the situation. Oh to link the practicalities of my life to the knowledge in my head!
 
Martha ran out to meet Jesus as He approached their town. She poured her heart out to Him about her brother being dead and about Jesus being able to help if He had only been there. He answered her by saying, I am the resurrection and the Life. She took that to mean that Lazarus would rise on resurrection day, but not today. She too was so close to the resurrection and the life that she could not link that great power to the specifics of that day. She was relegating His power to a day distant in the future. Just like Thomas, she knew the truth about Jesus but did not know how to apply to the daily, practical areas of her life. This is the huge problem for most people and for me. How do I have the Light for my path and the resurrection Life coursing through my veins and energizing my every breath. my every action, and the very core of my spirit and soul? How do I live in Him? Jesus simply asked Martha if she believed what He told her about Himself. This is a belief that is life-changing, not a mere intellectual assent. How do I strengthen my belief so that it converts to a victorious walk by faith? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God...I have to know God's word, call on it, meditate on it, and make it part of me. It is in the Word that I abide in Jesus.
 
Father,
Build my faith so that I am constantly walking in Your light, life, and Resurrection. Keep my knowledge practical.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment