Sunday, September 16, 2012

Prayer

Ps. 86:11
Teach me Your ways, O Lord, that I may walk in Your truth: unite my heart to fear Your name.
 
Ps. 86 is David's prayer, a prayer of multiple requests, a prayer that comes from a heart that knows God intimately. Just from looking at the content of this great psalm, it is obvious that David wants God in every area of His life. Such a prayer is a model for me! 
  • Incline Your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
  • Preserve my life
  • Be gracious to me
  • Gladden the soul of Your servant
  • Give ear, O Lord
  • Listen to my plea for grace
  • Teach me Your way
  • Unite my heart to fear Your name
  • Turn to me and be gracious
  • Save the son of Your maidservant
  • Give strength to Your servant
  • Show me a sign of Your favor
He bases all these requests on who God is,  His character and His attributes. I get the feeling that He knows these things about God because God is real to him. He has seen God work in so many areas of his life.
  • There is none like You, O God
  • Nor are any works like Yours
  • All nations will worship You
  • All You do glorifies Your name
  • You are great and do wondrous things
  • You alone are God!
  • You alone are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call on You
  • Great is Your steadfast love toward me
  • You delivered my soul from Sheol
  • You are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love
  • You answer prayer
In addition to petitioning God for what he needs, David's prayer includes the expressions of his heart, his actions, and his attitudes.
  • He trusts in God
  • He cries to God throughout the day
  • He lifts his soul up to God
  • He give thanks to God
  • He glorifies God's name forever
What a great prayer! I have prayed verse 11 many times, but after really examining this prayer, it would be a great psalm to pray in its entirety. I can only imagine the heart that David had for God, so close and so intimate, so specific and yet so all-encompassing, so articulate and yet so very real.
 
Father,
Grow my prayer life. Teach me to connect with You uniting my heart to fear Your name. Teach me Your way, O Lord, that I may walk in Your truth.
In Jesus name,
Amen
     

No comments:

Post a Comment