Saturday, September 1, 2012

Part of the Flock

Jn. 10:24-26
So the Jews gathered around Him and said to Him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock."
 
 
The struggle was ongoing between Christ and those who sought to take His life. Amazingly, they felt that Jesus had not declared plainly who He was, so He explained once again. If they were not of His flock, then His works would not prove His identity, but if they were part of the flock, then the works would be like a signal, a magnet drawing them to believe and follow. Not only was Jesus confusing  them with His claims, but He was saying that they did not belong. He was, in essence, excluding them from a group. Ouch! Something new for these people who normally were the elite group!
 
He further clarified it when He said, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one. Now not only are they excluded from the group but they are missing out on eternal life and eternal security. His sheep are safely held in the joint hand of Jesus and the Father. What a glorious relationship! Sadly, instead of rejoicing or considering, they picked up stones. Their frustration led to violence! 
 
Jesus asked them why they wanted to stone Him. Was it for His works? No, they said it was for blasphemy, for claiming to be God. At least they understood that much of what He said. He was claiming to be God because He was God! Understanding who Jesus is is not enough! A person must understand and believe, accepting what He has to offer for their sin. But then their anger was aroused even more so they tried to arrest Him, but He escaped from their hands. Even though these very vocal and very visible people refused to believe, many did, but only those of the flock, only those whom the Father had chosen.
 
Father,
Thank You for making me part of Your flock and for sending Your son to save me. Thank You for opening my eyes to believe and receive.
In His name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment