Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Devotion and Humility

Jn. 12:3
Mary therefore took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair.
 
Six days before the Passover Jesus was in Bethany dining with His close friends, Lazarus, Martha, and Mary. Martha was serving the dinner, but Mary was expressing her love in a different way. Since Jewish women rarely let their hair down, it was remarkable that she used her hair to anoint Jesus' feet. She was risking censure by her brother, and no doubt, disapproval from her sister.  Also the anointment was very expensive [about 1 year's wages] and normally used only to anoint the head. [Matthew and Mark mention that she anointed his head, so perhaps she did both.] Once again, what would Lazarus think or was the ointment only hers? In addition anointing the feet was a task normally done by servants; consequently, her act conveyed not only her deep love for Jesus, but also her humility. She was willing to be a servant of Jesus and unafraid to do this act publicly. Her perception included only Jesus. All others were out of focus or not even seen at all. Loving Him completely consumed her! When Jesus rebuked Judas [who was concerned about the cost and upset because he was not able to skim anything off the gift], He mentioned His burial and the fact that He would not always be there with them. Did Mary have an inkling of what was to come, or was this to be a sweet and precious memory when He was gone? Regardless, He was worthy of this love, humility, and devotion. It makes me think about my heart. Am I a willing servant to all? Am I willing to metaphorically 'let my hair down' in my worship of Him, or am I concerned about what others will think or what is socially acceptable? Do I consider the cost before I give a love gift in His name, or am I cheerfully generous? Where is my heart? Am I in love with Jesus to the degree that she was? What an example to me!
 
Father,
I love You and Your Son. Give me grace to serve You wholeheartedly through my giving and my sacrificial acts. Help me keep my focus on Jesus and not on other people. Make Jesus so big in my world that others issues lose their importance. 
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment