Monday, September 24, 2012

Love, Abide, and Discern

II Jn.5
And now I ask dear lady--not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning--that we love one another. 
 
The theme of love and abiding are continued in this short epistle. In v. 1 John greets the elect lady, the church, by saying that he loves them in the truth and that this truth abides in us forever. As John continued, he asked them to love one another. How important this is! John has repeated it again and again. And just in case they have forgotten, he reminds them...And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. Loving God and loving others are attached to obedience because love is a command. In just a few verses, John stressed abiding again. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Even though John continued these important themes, he added a new one that was related to the truth that lives in believers. That is since the truth abides in us, we should be able to recognize false teaching. For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. What a timely message for my day and time! So many false teachers and so much false teaching, even people claiming to be part of the body of Christ. Watch and pray! If anyone comes into my local body with false teaching, I am not to receive him. This is serious. If I do receive him, I take part in his wicked works. Loving God and loving others, abiding in God and the truth result in obedience and purity, being able to discern error from truth and being on guard to protect the good deposit resident within me! How narrow is this path as I wait for my blessed hope, for Jesus' soon return!
 
Father,
Grow me in abiding and in love so that I may love others unhindered from my flesh and its selfish desires. Give me Your discernment for the truth and help me to hear the quiet voice of Your Spirit leading and guiding me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment