Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Pattern

Jn. 13: 14-17
If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
 
Jesus is my Lord and Teacher; therefore, I must pattern my life after His. His was a life of humility, sacrifice, and obedience, obedience that eventually led to death. What a life! It is a great thing to embrace all the benefits that I get from such a life, but what about the responsibilities and the hard times. How do I feel about them? Do I embrace them with the same degree of thanksgiving? Do I keep the attitude of a servant constantly in my thinking, acting, and feeling? Am I identifying with Jesus even in this? Am I living with Him as my example? If I do, then there is a blessing for me, a blessing for emulating the Savior. Jesus didn't promise me an easy life, but He promised He would be with me always. His grace would be my stay and would be perfected in my weakness. ...But I have this treasure in a jar of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to me. I am afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair, persecuted but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed, always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in my body. This is my body life! 
 
In this foot washing, Jesus not only washed the feet of those disciples who loved Him, but also Judas' feet knowing all the time what he was about to do. In addition, this act of foot washing was normally  reserved for non-Jewish servants, but instead Jesus did it.What as a symbol for the cleansing His blood would offer for the sins of all the world, even those who choose not to accept what He has done!  Jesus died for all but only those who become His disciples get the benefit, only those who accept Him identify with Him in His death, and only those who accept Him follow His example of servitude and sacrifice.
 
Father,
Give me Your grace to embrace sacrifice, servitude, and suffering. I do love Jesus and want to follow Him, but I know that means the path will be hard. Thank You for making Your grace and power perfect in my weakness. Thank You for giving me all that I need for this journey. Keep my eyes focused on You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment