Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mothering

II Chron. 22:3
He also walked in the ways of the house of Ahab, for his mother was his counselor in doing wickedly.
 
 
How important is the counsel of a mother! In this account, Ahaziah became king after his father, Jehoram, had died of an incurable, excruciatingly painful bowel disease given to him by God. Since he was only 22 years of age, he listened to counselors frequently and especially to his mother who was the daughter of Ahab. As would be expected, he walked in the ways of Ahab and did evil in the sight of the Lord. 
 
But what is heartbreaking to me is that his mother counselled him in doing wickedly! What a reputation! Certainly this reinforces the fact that a mother's influence is strong, whether it is for good or for evil. Children watch and learn so much from her actions, habits, and body language, from the things left unsaid. They pick up on the reality of the mother's life, on her inmost motivations. Are her actions and attitudes supporting her spiritual claims?  Have the demands of children and the home put her on a frenzied course where she is just trying to survive in her own strength? Do they see her seeking the Lord and speaking words of grace, or are her words flowing out of countless frustrations and anger?
 
Certainly Ahaziah's mother was over the top. I am sure that her actions and motivations were on an even keel and all bent on doing evil. Would to God that mothers who love the Lord could be as focused on Him as she was on evil! Strangely enough, if a mother is encouraging evil, she is not conflicted and wondering what she should say. No, she speaks wholeheartedly for evil. So why should mothers who love the Lord struggle so much in teaching a love for Him, especially as children get older. I think of myself with children who are grown and gone from my home. How can I share the Lord and my love for Him with a son who seems cold to the Lord? Why am I afraid to speak out?
 
When Ahaziah was put to death, she rose up and destroyed all the royal family of the house of Judah. She was not afraid of anything, but was fully committed to a course of evil. But God had ordained Jehoshabeath, the daughter of the king, to hide Joash so he was not put to death. He remained hidden 6 years in the house of God. Certainly she would never look there!
 
This account is so sad, but has such a warning for mothers. How are they influencing their children? Is it for good or for evil? Are mothers focused on being godly mothers who make knowing and loving God a priority? If I were to ask each of my children to sum up my mothering of them, what would they say? What would my reputation be? I know it wouldn't be as a counsellor for evil, but would it be as a counsellor for godliness, or would I be somewhere in the murky ground of the gray?
 
Father,
Even now help me to be a mother and grandmother that speaks out for godliness and whose life's actions and motivations are one in the same. Make me wholly transparent for You.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment