Sunday, September 23, 2012

An Oak Planted by the Lord

Ps. 78:13-15
The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the house of the Lord; they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of say and green, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no righteousness in Him.
 
 
It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your steadfast love in the morning, and Your faithfulness by night...It is Sunday morning, and I so want to declare God's love this morning, singing melodies that praise His name. He has made me glad in so many ways: salvation, sanctification, His Word, answered prayer, and the blessed hope. He has given me a ministry and a message even when I am growing old. He has made me flourish in His presence and has planted me in His house. I am solidly there, a tree for Him with roots that cannot be damaged. As Isaiah 61:3 says, ...that they may be called the oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified. Since He has planted me, my purpose is to glorify Him. But how? Jn. 15:8 says By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. God in His sovereign wisdom has allowed me to bear fruit in old age, to be ever full of sap and green. Thankfully, spiritual life and vigor doesn't age; in fact, it continues eternally growing and multiplying in praise to Him. As His oak I am to declare that He is upright. He is my rock of righteousness. I must share His mighty acts to the next generation so that there is never a lack, a vacuum. His praise needs to be a continuous melody extending into eternity.
 
O God. from my youth You have taught me, and I still proclaim Your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God do not forsake me, until I proclaim Your might to another generation, Your power to all those to come. Ps. 71:17-18
 
Certainly this is a common theme! Declaring and teaching to the next generation. So contrary to my culture which says the old are not really good for much and have a massive communication gap with the young, I must communicate! Apparently in God's economy, cross generational communication is the way to go! No doubt it is because the Lord crosses all generations. He is relevant for all times as is His word!
 
Father,
These verses are my prayer. My heart is full of praise to You for keeping me green and full of sap, for keeping my faith growing and vigorous. Open my mouth and the doors of communication. Help me to break through these culturally established generational walls. Give me strength and courage to put Your words into action.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment