Friday, February 21, 2014

Circumcision

Rom. 2:28-29
For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical.
But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.
 
The Jews thought that they were set because they had the law and the rite of circumcision, but Jesus said not so. When Jesus said that a Jew was not just an outward process of rules, man-made traditions, and circumcision, they were shocked and outraged. What an affront to their very existence and to their religious beliefs! Sadly, their religion had become something without any involvement of their hearts. Pride ruled in all they did. They disdained anyone who was not a Jew. What a wake-up call was this!
 
Instead of this hypocritical religion, Jesus said that circumcision was a matter of the heart,  by the Spirit and not by the letter. Any praise that resulted was not of men [which they loved] but entirely from God. Jesus told them the truth. He gave them the way, the only way. But time after time they rejected it. Even after Jesus was crucified and the apostles were covering the world with the gospel, they clung to their hypocrisy so much so that Jesus sent men to give the gospel to the Gentiles. Acts 13:46 says, And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. How sad to thrust aside God's gift of eternal life! Not to say that no Jews were saved because they were, but some clung stubbornly to their old ways. I am so thankful that the gospel was given to me. It is my saving grace! However, it is also a warning to me to remember to guard my heart and not get caught up in outward appearance and deeds. My faith is a relationship and not a religion! My church is the body of Christ and not a social or humanitarian organization! Jesus is my Savior and not a heretic or merely a teacher!
 
Father,
I love you and want to follow You as You would have me to do. Grant me to walk worthy of the calling to which I have been called. Spirit, fill me and teach me.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment