Thursday, February 6, 2014

Continual Praise

Ps 34:1
I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
 
Oh, if only that were true! Think how my life would look if praise were continually in my mouth! There would be no grouchy days, no unkind words, no bad thoughts,  no stress, no conflict, but all would be peace, thankfulness, and praise. What a life! This is the way God has designed my life to be. Why do I make it so difficult? I know how strong my flesh is; how it seeks to take control, how it seeks to take me down its own path, how it makes hurts monumental, and how it makes pain almost unbearable trying desperately to take my focus off Jesus. Yet I know I am not a slave to this life because I have been raised in newness of life, in resurrection power. My life is truly a Rom. 7 experience. I know that Paul struggled in this way, but how often really? No doubt to him one incident would bring severe grief so that he wouldn't be a repeat offender. I am sure that he didn't struggle on a daily basis as I sometimes do. Do I make excuses for my flesh? When I read Phil. 3: 7-10,  I know that struggling in the flesh would not produce an attitude of counting all as loss for the sake of Christ. It would not count all the things of this world as rubbish. No doubt an attitude of continual praise and thanksgiving would lead to a realization that all the world offers is rubbish and that Christ is more important than anything else.
 
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith-- that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
 
As David said in Ps. 34, Oh magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together...Oh taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints, for those who fear Him have no lack!
 
Father,
I praise You this morning. Give me the grace to praise continually throughout this day. Teach me to live victoriously for You and not be hindered by my flesh.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment