Sunday, February 2, 2014

Kingdom of Priests and a Holy Nation

Ex. 19: 4-6
You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine, and you shall be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.
 
After hearing words like these, You would think Israel would follow their God wholeheartedly. In the same chapter, God came to meet the people in thunder and lightning. Mt Sinai was covered in smoke because the Lord descended on it in fire. As Moses spoke, the Lord answered him in thunder. They witnessed unbelievable power. All the people answered together and said, All that they Lord has spoken we will do.  Yet, we find this is not the case. Many times they grumbled, worshiped other gods, even sacrificed their children on the altars of pagan gods. How could they? Many times I have been blown away by the heinousness of their actions. But really should I be?
 
1 Pet. 2:9-10 says, But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but not you are God's people, once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Many of the same words are used here when He is speaking to the early church, to those saved by grace, to the Gentiles.  I am His possessions and part of a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. How is my track record? Am I obeying 100% of the time? Perhaps I shouldn't be blown away by Israel, but I should look deep within my own heart. God has given me so much. Am I truly grateful and obedient?
 
Father,
I confess my attitude and my actions that have not honored you, the times when I have let my flesh control instead of Your Spirit. Thank You for Your great mercy and grace. Keep growing me so that I can be conformed to the image of Your Son.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment