Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Close Friends

Ps. 41:9-10
Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who are my bread, has lifted his heel against me. But you O Lord, be gracious to me, and raise me up that I may repay them!
 
It's always rough when a person is betrayed by their close friend or friends. The hurt is much worse. Perhaps they have shared a confidence with others, have joined others who are against you , or have just said they no longer want you for a friend. Whatever it is, the pain is horrible! So where to go for comfort? Do I just buck up and go on? Do I build walls and allow no one into my life? I have been there and there is no comfort in that. I would have to say neither of these options are effective for healing my heart. But when I go to the Lord, He always comforts my heart. Like David, I know that the Lord will always be gracious. He is the Father of all comforts who will comfort me. He has promised and His promises are always true.
 
However, David's next statement is 'ify'. Perhaps in his day it had something to do with the kingdom and it needed to be dealt with. But for me, no vengeance. Vengeance is mine, I will repay says the Lord. My heart must trust Him to take care of all my hurts. He has sovereignly ordered and planned my life for my good, not necessarily for my comfort. What He has planned for my life is to conform me to the image of His Son. Such conformity means so much of my behaviors and thoughts need to be put away and I need to walk in the light and in His love, putting on the works of light and love.
 
But I do identify with David when he said, But this I know that You delight in me...You have upheld me because of my integrity [ which You have given me because of Your Son] and set me in Your presence forever. Blessed be the Lord! How glorious to be in His presence through out eternity. When I compare the pain of a lost friendship to the glories of heaven, I know for a certainty everything pales in the light of heaven!
 
Father,
Thank You for being my comfort when the pain and disappointments are great, when the hurts are overwhelming, and when there seems to be no earthly hope. But You are there with the hope that never dissipates. Thank You for being My God and for delighting in me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment