Monday, February 10, 2014

Guard My Ways

Psalms 39: 1-2
I said, I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue...
 
David wanted to guard his ways especially those regarding his tongue. Many years later James clarifies why this is necessary, why this is something that I should pray every day, and many times throughout the day. James begins by saying, So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze among our members, staining the whole body, a world of unrighteousness. It is a wonder how such small member of my body can cause such a massive amount of trouble. I know when I have spoken without thinking, or have reacted to a situation without seeing it from God's perspective, it has and will continue to turn out badly. Many times the hurt from those words cannot be undone. Earlier in his book, James says, Know this beloved brothers, let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Dealing with the tongue demands utmost diligence! This slowness allows time for us to recall a verse and cry out to God for wisdom.
 
The tongue has the ability to set on fire the entire course of life, and is resistant to any self-control that I might have. Just when I think I have it mastered, it lashes out in anger and ungodliness. Amazingly, those who belong to Jesus can utter words of praise and blessing to God and then utter curses and criticism for our fellow man who are made in the image of God. How strong is my flesh and how constantly selfishness I am!. David was right when he withheld his words being mute and silent in the situation thereby giving himself time to think[slow to speak, quick to listen]. That should be the initial response, but there is a backlash that results from that. David said his heart burned within him. I need not to hold my words back in my on strength, but confess those words and seek godliness. I need to rest in the fact that God is sovereign and all that happens in my life is because of His loving plan and purpose for me. I need not chafe at God for what He has placed in my life, but praise Him continually in all situations.
 
Father,
Replace my ungodly words with words of praise and blessing. Open my eyes to see when my words have crossed over into sin. Give me a heart that is ready to confess, to mourn over my sin, and to turn all frustrations into praise and thanksgiving.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment