Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Anxiety

Prov. 12:25
"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad."
Even though all people have experienced it or even been controlled by anxiety, does it have to be a part of my life? According to Philippians the answer is 'No!' Praise God! But when it is in my life, how do I get rid of it? Phil. 4:6 says "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." I think that prayer is antidote. Instead of carrying this heavy load, I need to give it to God in prayer. Sounds simple, yet it is not! There is something in most humans that likes to wallow in anxiety and worry. It gives some kind of weird self-gratification; but for that weird momentary feeling, a huge price is exacted. Anxiety actually affects the body physically. I think Paul gave such a strong command concerning anxiety because he knew the seriousness of the problem. He was well aware of the power of the flesh and had often battled with it himself. The secret for victory over anxiety is spiritual. I have to go outside of myself not deeper within myself. More resolve will not work: instead I must go to God in prayer. Anxiety demands a spiritual remedy.
Once I have prayed, then I must leave the situation with God trusting Him to work it out for my good. [Rom. 8:28] Yet, in Phil. 4:8 Paul goes on to give another way to handle this problem. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Control of anxiety is in direct relationship to my thought life. Amazingly, the things that are anxiety producing are 'what-ifs'. They are not even true. Saturation in the word of God transforms these thoughts of the mind and the heart because the Word is alive and active. It not only energizes, renews, and heals me, but it also guides me into thinking about what is true. It is unlike any self-help book about anxiety. The Word is Truth. Thank God I don't have to be "weighed down with anxiety"; instead "a good word makes me glad." The good word in this verse is the Good Word becoming part of my life.
Father,
Help me always to let loose of anxiety and give it to you. Let your word transform me so that I can trust You to be all that I need. Keep me ever close to You in prayer.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment