Sunday, June 20, 2010

Temptations

Mt. 4:1-11

The book of Hebrews adds more detail to this time in Jesus' life. In 2:18 it says "For because He Himself has suffered when tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted." And 4:15 says "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin." After reading Mt. 4:1-11, it might seem that Jesus was sailing through this temptation. I mean it says that after 40 days of fasting, he was hungry. Sounds a little bit understated! I mean if it were me, I would be ready for a body bag! In fact the entire passage seems somewhat short of emotion or suffering, but thankfully, Hebrews verifies that it was very difficult for Jesus. If it wouldn't have been grueling and intense, I don't think that He would be able to sympathize with any human. Somehow it makes me stronger to know that He has endured what I must endure.

I am sure that the bigger picture, and the one that I should focus on, involves the lessons that I am to learn, the lessons that will help me in the temptation arena. The first that I see is that His only defense was the Word. He countered Satan with God's explicit words not with human reasons, strong emotions, or even die-hard strong will. What a reason for me to know the Word! I need to have it at my quick and ready disposal. Just like Satan came for Jesus when He was physically weak, he attacks me when my defenses are down. If I don't know His Word, what will I use? Paul commands me to "Put on the whole armor of God, that I may be able to stand against the schemes of the Devil."

Secondly, I see that Jesus did suffer. It was not an easy thing. My mindset has to be ready for a battle. On one hand, I can't think that my spiritual life is going to be a breeze, and on the other hand, I can't get discouraged and feel sorry for myself when suffering comes. Suffering is the stuff of character building! It is the fertile soil for growing the fruit of the Spirit."For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His steps." I am called to follow His example.

Thirdly, I see that Jesus said, "Be gone, Satan." Not only did He take the defensive, but He took the offensive. I don't have to allow Satan a foothold in my life. I can, on the authority of the Word of God, tell him to take off. God did not give me a "spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-control." I need to remember that temptations are a battle ground, one that I need to use all the resources that I have available to me.
Fourthly, I see that there were more than one. Temptations do not play nice! They like to gang up and leave no time for rest. All the more reason for me to have the Word at my ready disposal. It is my strength. I also need to pray for grace. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." There it is! Grace is what I need for whatever temptations might be lurking in the shadows.
Father,
Keep my eyes open to the prowling lion. Help me to fight this battle in Your strength alone. Thank You for showing me the love of Jesus as He endured this for me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment