Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Heart of Compassion

Hosea 11:2,7-9

"The more they were called, the more they went away."
"My heart recoils within Me; My compassion grows warm and tender...for I am God and not a man, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come in wrath."

When I read this account, I was so grieved for the heart of God. Israel constantly rebuffed Him. He called and called, but to no avail. In fact, the more they were called, the more they went the other way. There is such hopelessness in that phrase, such heartache! I think of how I would feel if I had constantly called or tried to help my child, but was only met with rejection. Since I am just a human mother with many flaws, there may be many reasons why my child would reject me, but God is God. He is without flaw and offers the purest of love. Not only did they reject Him, but they chose Baal. In essence, they had compounded their foolishness by offending God in a way like no other. What they had done deserved the severest of judgments! But how does God respond?

"How can I give you up, O Ephraim?" What emotion! Even though God felt this pain deeply, His deep love enabled His heart to recoil from anger and judgment. His compassion grew warm and tender. What love God had for Israel! God declared that He was not a man, He was God! He was the Holy One in their midst who would withhold His judgment. What a great example of the heart of God!

These verses touch me deeply. This same God is the Holy One who has called me. In His great love, He sent His Son to pay the debt of my sin and my idolatry. By His blood, I can answer His call and have the Holy One indwelling me. Praise Be! What a great God that loves me and that I love!

Father,
Keep my heart soft and tender, ever responsive to You. Thank You for Your love and mercy. According to the riches of Your glory, strengthen my inner being so that I may understand Your great love and Your tender heart.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment