Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Contrasts of the Mouth

Prov. 10

Personally, I know that my mouth has a great potential for good or for bad depending on my motive and my purpose. Prov. 10 speaks pointedly about this same dichotomy. Verse 6 says "Blessings are on the head of the righteous, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence." Why does the wicked mouth conceal violence? Perhaps because the deeds are so evil they need to be hidden and kept from public scrutiny. Conversely, there is a blessing for the righteous because the righteous mouth speaks for an entirely different purpose. A different purpose produces a different result. Instead of a secret life of violence, the righteous live a life of blessing that produces open and honest speech. What are the motives of my speech? Am I honest and transparent? Do I harbor secret thoughts that conceal ungodly motives?

Verse 11 says "The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence." Once again the wicked is consumed with concealing violence, but the righteous is concerned with life. Here is the fundamental difference in the purpose of the righteous and the purpose of the wicked. The wicked person's preoccupation with violence might often result in death, but the righteous' person's love of righteousness results in life. In fact, their mouth is a fountain of life giving to others the secret of eternal life found in Jesus Christ. When I examine my speech, do I consider what I say a fountain of life? Am I giving life to those I speak with each day?

Verse 13 says "On the lips of him who has understanding , wisdom is found, but a rod is for the back of him who lacks sense." Understanding is the key to speaking wisely. But, how do I get understanding? I think it comes from the Holy Spirit. "Theses things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God." The Spirit indwells me for the express purpose of teaching me the depths of God. In these depths comes understanding and wisdom. Do I desire wise lips or a rod for my back? Do I seek to speak in an understanding way?

Verse 20 says "The tongue of the righteous is choice silver; the heart of the wicked is of little worth." Righteousness produces silver speech, not speech of little worth. A righteous person has a heart that is worth much while the heart of the wicked is worth little. Anyone would choose choice silver over little worth, but what is the cost? Being righteous in heart and tongue is related to a right relationship with Jesus, one of obedience and bringing glory to God. Am I aware of the value of my words? Are they choice silver?

Verse 21 says "The lips of the righteous feed many, but fools die for lack of sense." Not only are the lips of the righteous a fountain of life, now they feed many. This speech brings nourishment to the souls of others. Righteous lips produce life, growth, and prosperity, while the wicked fool dies for lack of sense. His lips utter non-thinking foolishness. How do I feed many with my words? I think it is through the Word being in my life and in my speech.

Finally, this chapter ends with "the mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but the perverse tongue will be cut off. The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, but the mouth of the wicked, what is perverse." Righteousness results in wisdom. It knows what is acceptable not what is perverse. In every instance a righteous mouth is completely opposite of the words of the wicked. A righteous mouth is not just a reformed mouth, or one that is on good behavior, but it is one that is completely transformed by the power of God.

Father,
As I examine my speech, I know that many times I have not been life and nourishment to others. I confess this. I ask You to guide me down this path of righteous speech so that I will have understanding and wisdom.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment