Thursday, June 17, 2010

Guard My Mouth

Prov. 13:3

"Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin."

After remembering James 3:5-10, this proverb makes so much sense. James says that the tongue is "a fire, a world of unrighteousness, set on fire by hell," and is a "restless evil, full of deadly poison" which has the potential to bless God and curse people simultaneously. With such a capacity for blessing and cursing, the tongue needs a careful guard. Prov. 18:21 says that "death and life are in the power of the tongue." Once again the dual nature of the tongue is evidenced. It is amazing that the tongue has such contrasting abilities! It can be a instrument for good or an instrument for evil.

Do I really have the strength or the ability to control my tongue? I would think that for awhile, I could, but in the heat of the moment, who knows what I would say? In fact, Jas. 3:8 says that "no human being can tame the tongue." What am I to do? Am I to be forever at the mercy of this small but deadly member of my body? Thankfully no, I can seek God for His strength and power. It is only "according to the power at work within me" that I can function at all. David had this same struggle. In Ps. 39:1-2 he said, "I will guard my ways, that I might not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle..." What would that muzzle be? I think for me, that muzzle would be the Holy Spirit. If I seek the Lord in prayer, asking Him to set a 'watch' over my tongue, He would work through His Spirit in my life. It is the power of the Spirit to convict, guide, lead, and teach that would be my strength and the muzzle for my mouth, or as James calls it a 'bridle.' (Jas. 1:26)
In Ps. 51 David deals with sin issues and heart issues. He cries out to God to be renewed and restored to the presence of God. In verses 14-15 David prays, "Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God...and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise." David's prayer needs to be my prayer. I want to sing aloud of God's righteousness and declare His praise, no longer enslaved to the evil nature of my tongue, but freed to honor and glorify God.
Father,
I bring my tongue to You. Even though it is deadly and dangerous, I know that You can transform it as a instrument of praise for You. Send Your Spirit to hammer me when I am off course and speaking hurtfully. Help me to pray before I speak, to think of You, and to ask if I am bringing glory to Your name. Change my focus.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment