Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Images of Faithlessness

Hosea 6:4,6; 7;16

"Your love is like a morning cloud, like the dew that goes early away...For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings."
At the ending of chapter 5, God says that He will return to His place and wait for Israel to acknowledge their guilt and seek His face. He knows that it is in distress that they must seek Him. Normally, insurmountable odds will drive a person back to God. But with Israel would it be so? The prophet urged them,"Come,.let us return to the Lord; for He has torn us, that He may heal us; He has struck us down, and he will bind us up." The way was clearly stated, and the man of God had included himself in the journey. He would personally lead them to God to confess, be healed, and have their wounds bound up. But only a few verses later, God wonders what He will do with them because their love is fleeting. Sadly, distress has not impacted them to repent.

God now described their love for Him as a morning cloud and the early dew. When I think of a morning cloud, I think of Seattle or most coastal cities. I am amazed that in the morning there will be a substantial cloud bank, but before too long, the sky is perfectly clear. The span of these clouds is brief, and their impact is nil. Apparently, Israel's love was more of a pretense, a cloud without true impact. It was not lasting enough to bring true repentance and produced no moisture to soften the heart. The same is true of the morning dew. The grass and plants can be covered in moisture, but all to soon, it is gone. Has this dew provided sufficient water for the plants and the grass? Not in the least. Once again, the hearts of the people came with a surface covering of love, but one that did not bloom into a true love of God.

God said clearly that this was not what He desired. Instead, He wanted steadfast love and a knowledge of Him. The morning cloud and the early dew are like the sacrifice and the burnt offering. They are symbols of the real thing, but if the heart is not right, the symbol is worthless. God wanted a steadfast love, constant in the face of whatever life would bring. He wanted them to know Him and desire to be with Him. These verses make me examine my love. All this year I have meditated and prayed Eph. 3:14-21 so that I might understand the love of God and that it might impact my life in a greater way. Has my love grown beyond the morning cloud and the early dew? Is it strong enough to be steadfast, or do I waiver when the heavy storms come? Has my love drawn me into an intimate relationship with God? I would have to say that God has grown me. Praise God! His Word has given me a hunger to be with Him, and to have His love flowing through me to others and back to Him! Thankfully, He has given me His grace to strengthen me in my inner being so that I might love Him. and that I might be filled with all His fullness. Is my love without flaw? No, not by a long shot, but it is growing and alive. It does not vanish with the first heat of the day. I am confident that He who began a good work in me will perfect it in me.

"They return but not upward; they are like a treacherous bow."
Later, God described them again. Appearing to return and repent, they still carried the bow of destruction. It reminds me of when I play fast and lose with a habit or a sin. I confess repeatedly, but deep down, I justify this sin as a character trait, not really that bad, another's fault, or something that is unchangeable. I come to God truly sorry, but not sorry enough to forsake. I am not seeing my sin in comparison to the holiness of God, but in comparison to human standards. How many times have I confessed but still had my bow within my grasp? How many times have I confessed because I knew that I should and not because I desired to forsake this sin? How many times have I confessed knowing full well my action or attitude would surface again? What a great word picture! I think I could even apply it to my relationships with others. When I am sorry for something that I have done, or someone else has apologized to me for something that they have done, do I forgive them with all my heart, or am I holding, ever so slyly, that bow of destruction? Have I been aimed and ready to take the next shot because of my wounded pride? What great images that speak to my true motives and sincerity! When I come to repent, am I truly returning upward? My heart says yes, but I know my flesh is so strong.

Father,
What images that cut to my heart! I admit that at times I have grasped tightly my bow of destruction and made a pretense of my confession. Help me to love You so much that my human weaknesses will not be precious to me at all. Thank You for Your great love, grace, and mercy.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment