Saturday, June 26, 2010

Two Things

Prov. 30:8-9
"Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the Lord?" or lest I be poor and stead and profane the name of the God."
Jakeh prayed for two things. First he wanted to be far away from falsehood and lying. Just prior to this verse he reiterates the veracity of the promises of God. Following this he adds a strong statement about adding to God's word. Anyone who would do such a thing is a liar! I am sure that Jakeh never wanted to be rebuked by God, so he asked to be removed from this heinous sin. He knew that all Truth is the word of God! I am pretty sure that most people I know would never knowingly add to the word of God, but is there a way people do it unknowingly? When I doubt the word or interpret it so that it fits my scenario, am I adding to the Word? Am I thinking that I know better than God does? Am I a liar in God's eyes? If Jakeh feared this happening, should I? It really makes me think about my response to the Word and about the true nature of falsehood and lying?
Secondly, he asked for only what was needful. Those who have so much are too full of themselves. Those who have too little feel that they must steal to get what they need. Either way, both groups are denying God. What a picture of America! People either see no need for God, or they blame God for their lot in life. The final result is that they profane God's name. Jakeh prays that this will never happen. He only wants what is needful so that he can acknowledge God in his life and never profane His name. Am I contented with what God has given me? Do I desire only what I need? Are my longings drawing me closer to God?
Father,
Thank You that Your Word is Truth. Make my spirit and mind see this Truth in all that I say, do, or think. Give me only what I need. Keep my focus on needs and not on riches. Thank You for the great riches I have in Your grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment