Thursday, June 3, 2010

Boot Camp

II Tim. 3:10-12

"You, however, have followed my teaching , my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions and sufferings...which persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me. Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted...But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed..."

Yesterday I saw Paul's classroom training where he gave Timothy vital principles for the Christian life, but today I see their field training exercises. What they endured together was intense and grueling! Just like boot camp makes the soldier tough and battle ready, this training equips the believer for battling the evil one, growing in godliness, and enduring life's trials. To me, it sounds like Timothy was a ready recruit. He had identified with Paul to the point that their spirits were in sync. I love how Paul said that Timothy 'followed.' The best way to learn is to follow, to be a sponge soaking up all the mentor's words and actions.

If I leave the military metaphor behind, this verse really speaks to me about the basis for a true friendship. Certainly, Paul and Timothy were kindred spirits. Look at what they had in common: teaching, conduct, aim in life, faith, patience, love, steadfastness, persecutions, and suffering. This is a union that few people ever share. It involved their thought life, their character, their responses, their actions, their health, and their relationships with others. Most of all it involved their obedience to the God that they both loved and served. This relationship was strengthened "according to the riches of His glory , where God granted them to be strengthened with power through the Holy Spirit in their inner beings." Jesus Christ and Him crucified was the center and focal point of their lives. They delighted in Jesus and sought only to bring glory to His name through their obedience.

The conclusion of this training session is "all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." In essence Paul is saying that the heavy is about to fall, so get ready. Timothy was prepared. He had lived and breathed a godly life with his mentor. He had learned experientially that grace is sufficient for human weakness, and that he could be content and even rejoice in his weakness, in his insults, in his hardships, in his persecutions, and in his calamities. For when Timothy was weak, he would be strong. What a lesson! However, it's one thing to read it, study it, and even rejoice and praise God when someone else is in the thick of this, but it is another thing to personally plunge into such a life. How strong my flesh is! How weak my spirit! Indeed, I must claim these verses and pray them back to God so that He might transform me and make this lifestyle a reality in me.

Then Paul calmly says, "Continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed..." The message is 'continue'. Keep serving. Keep on keeping on. God will take care of the rest. He has the plan in place. Like Timothy, I just need to be that submissive follower who willingly yields to the teaching and training of my mentors. As God provides, my mentors might include other godly people, but it always would include the Word, the Spirit, Jesus, and my heavenly Father. What an array of mentors! What a wealth of teaching, empowering, and grace! I am a kindred spirit with the God of the universe, the Savior of the world, and the indwelling Spirit. My heart is overwhelmed.

Father,
What goodness You have poured on my life! What provision! Spirit, teach me to be godly and to live a life that brings glory to my God. I confess the weakness and fear in my flesh, replace it with power according to the riches of Your great glory. Make me strong in You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment