Friday, June 11, 2010

Break up the Fallow Ground

Hosea 10:12

"Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up the fallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord, that He may come and rain righteousness upon you."

Hosea developed a farming image to describe the heart condition of Israel. Even though he began with God's positive instruction about what would bring righteousness back to Israel's heart, in verse 13 Hosea stated the problem: Israel had plowed iniquity, had reaped injustice, and had eaten the fruit of lies. In farming, plowing is step one because plowing prepares the field; in this case, the field was Israel's heart. If the heart plows sin, then injustice will grow bringing with it a full crop of lies. Sadly, this had been Israel's story. But Hosea now tried to spur them on into new action.

Instead of sin, they were to sow righteousness, but in order for this to happen, they had to break up the fallow ground. 'Fallow' ground is land that has been plowed, but not seeded. During this time, weeds very possibly could take control of the land. So before planting, it needs to be broken up or plowed again. Israel's heart had been plowed in the past, but left fallow. Had evil weeds sprouted and flourished? Before planting, this soil would need to be broken up. Their crop could go either way depending on what they sowed. Would it be righteousness? Even though God promised that in place of injustice and lies would be His steadfast love, they must seek Him now. Thankfully, God's time is always now! His heart of compassion and mercy always reaches out in love. If Israel would seek Him, He would rain down righteousness on them. There would be a time of great bounty and blessing!

As I examine the ground of my heart, is it lying fallow or is it broken up? Am I waiting for God's rain, or have I allowed the weeds of my self-will to take root? Do I want righteousness to be the crop of my life? Most certainly, then as for Israel, so it is for me. I need to seek the Lord right now. If my heart is plowed and receptive, then like rain His righteousness will pour. It will take root reproducing in my life a bountiful crop of love and holiness. What a great image!

Father,
I seek You so that I might bring You my plowed heart. It is not lying fallow, but is ready for Your righteousness. In Your grace and mercy, let it rain. Make it grow in me as only You can.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment