Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sheep Without a Shepherd

Matt. 9:36-38
"When He saw the crowds, He had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd."
When Jesus looked at the crowd of people, He didn't judge them as God-haters, or immoral, reprobate people. Instead He looked in their hearts for the cause of their outward actions and attitudes. He saw them as harassed and helpless, as sheep without a shepherd. What allowed Him to have such an attitude toward them? I think it was His great heart of love and compassion. Jesus didn't see them as an inconvenience or as too weird to be around, but instead He saw their great need. First, He saw that they were harassed. What was harassing them? Certainly it was Satan controlling their lives at this point in time, but I think it could also be their own confusion, lust, and dissatisfaction with all life had to offer. They were in a frenzy trying one thing after another only to find more and more disappointment, what they experienced was one continual harassment from without and within. Secondly, they were also helpless, helpless to do anything about their condition. All they could do was to run helter-skelter. In fact, Jesus said they were like sheep. What an apt metaphor! Without a shepherd sheep eat poison weeds, get lost easily, are easy prey to predators, and wander aimlessly. The only fix for this situation is a shepherd. Jesus came to be that shepherd. He could give their lives purpose, guide them in the right paths, and protect them from predators. Jesus looked beyond the superficial to the inner needs of these helpless and harassed people. Do I look beyond the superficial? Am I fearful when I see these crowds? Instead do I seek the safety of the flock of God without caring for those lost sheep?
Jesus didn't stop there. He turned to teach His disciples that these people were a plentiful and ready harvest, but without willing laborers. He ended by saying, "Pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest." Harvesting only comes through prayer! I can't just look out, see the need, and then go harvest the field. I must pray because the harvest is the Lord's. Harvesting only comes through His power and in His time. But what He desires from me are willing hands and a compassionate heart. I am convicted at my heart's attitude when I look at fields of helpless and harassed people. Sometimes, I can't get beyond the surface. I prejudge the situation thinking that these people would never want to know Jesus when only God knows who can be harvested. My attitudes are not making me that willing laborer. As I pray for workers, I see that it is just not for more people, but it is for people whose hearts are in sync with God's heart. Am I willing to be that laborer for God? Am I full of compassion when I see the great needs of these people?
Father,
I confess I am fearful many times. I pray that You make my heart right so that I could be Your laborer to these harassed and helpless people. Let Your love flood me inside and out so that I see others through Your eyes.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment