Thursday, June 10, 2010

Seven Things

Pro. 6:16-19
"There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among the brothers."
What is amazing to me is that many times these things that are hateful to God are at home in a child of God, certainly to a lesser degree, but still they are there! What about haughty eyes? 'Haughty' speaks of pride, of looking down on others from a vantage point of superiority, or of holding myself aloof from the needs of others. I know that I haven't used my eyes or my pride to craft evil plans for others, but has my pride blocked my eyes from seeing the true needs of others? Have I thought I was too good or too busy to help someone else?
For the believer, a lying tongue and hands that shed innocent blood should be an impossibility, but still, have I stretched the truth and justified it as a white lie or even an exaggeration? Have I shed 'innocent blood' by gossip or unkind words about others? I know that James warns that the "tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness." Has my tongue been the match that started fires that have left scars and damaged relationships within the body? Hard questions!
The next three sound so extreme: devising wicked plans, running to do evil, and giving a false witness. For me to apply these to my life, it would have to be the area of disobedience. When I know the Word and the Spirit's prompting, and yet disobey, I am running from God. If I am running from God, then I must be running toward evil. I know that with God there is no middle-of-the-road position. In a way, these three grouped together remind me of what goes on in a work situation when tensions run high. Employees sacrifice integrity to keep their jobs by covering their tracks, not taking the blame for what they have done, or even taking credit for something that was not theirs. What a powerful witness is a life of integrity can be!
Finally, the last one is someone who stirs up strife among the brothers. Sadly, brothers are family, and in my case, the family of God. What is my attitude toward others in my local body? I might not be an blatant 'strife-stirrer', but what about my heart? Am I creating a discord within that takes a toll on my spiritual life? Jesus says that His followers would be known by their love. Am I?
Since all of these actions involve my physical body, they are sourced in my flesh. Thankfully, I can praise God that even though I am still plagued by the works of the flesh, they do not control me! Since I am a new creature, the indwelling Spirit convicts, controls, guides, leads, and even intercedes for me. I am no longer sin's slave; instead, I am a child of God. Through His power alone, I am able to honor and glorify Him!
Father,
I am so convicted when I think about the fleshly actions and thoughts that still seep out of my life. I so need Your grace to live and walk by the Spirit. Teach me how to obey and how to honor You in all that I do and say.
In Jesus' most holy name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment