Friday, June 25, 2010

Treasures

Mt. 6:18-20

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Do I consider the 'things' that I value treasures? What is my attitude toward the care and handling of them? How do these 'things' compare in value to the spiritual realities in my life? I know that our culture is a 'collecting' culture. People collect things that I would never imagine were collectible. What is the reason behind this? It could be a desire to create a legacy,to gain wealth, for enjoyment, or even for fame. But the verse says don't lay up treasures. Calling 'things' treasures implies an emotional attachment, a belief that these treasures are of great value and obtained at the cost of personal sacrifice either time or money. Once I saw a segment on TV about a man who collected license plates. Who knew license plates could be of value? Anyway, he had to add on to his house to accommodate what he treasured. I think that is the point. A treasure is something that alters a person's life. God wants to be the only life-altering thing in my life. He is to be my treasure! Why? First He can not be destroyed by natural forces such as moths or rust. Those seem pretty tame in light of tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, oil spills, etc. The news is replete with untold destruction from these natural forces where people lose everything not just their treasures. Not only that but God can not be stolen. I wouldn't have to take out a special insurance policy to protect my 'treasures' because He is my assurance! Finally, He wants to be my treasure because where my treasure is, there is my heart. God desires my heart to love and value Him above all else. When I begin laying up 'treasures' on this earth, those treasures send out little roots in my heart that grow deep and eventually become something that needs time, care, and consideration. I have only so much time, care, and consideration in this life. What am I going to do with it? Who is deserving of it? Is it God?
Father,
Reveal to me the priorities of my heart. What am I treasuring above you? According to the riches of Your glory, grow my love for You into such a treasure that there will be room for nothing else in my heart.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment