Monday, June 28, 2010

Fruitful

Mt. 7:20
"Thus you will recognize them by their fruits."
Being fruitful is a mark of identification for the believer. Yet, in the next few verses Matthew states that there will be those who do works in the name of Jesus but will not enter into heaven. They are workers of lawlessness. Whoa! What a thought! Normally, when I think of fruit, I think of what someone does, but this passage negates that thought. The external act doesn't comprise the fruit alone, it must be accompanied by a right heart. External acts can be done totally in the flesh and for self-gratification. John clarifies this when he says in 15:4, "Abide in me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches." Abiding must be part of fruit bearing. It speaks of intimacy with Jesus in prayer, saturation in the Word through study, memorization and meditation, and then outward acts of service that bring glory to God and not to self. Fruit also comes from the Spirit working in my life. (Gal. 5:22) Nowhere does it say that I need to produce this fruit. In fact, it is just the opposite. For me to be fruitful, I must be a healthy tree that abides in Jesus and allows the Spirit to grow godly fruit. My fruit is not mine; it is His! I must always remember that I am only the tree. God does the rest. What a warning when I consider those who seemingly did works for Jesus but yet without any reality! What a sobering thought about self-will and self-righteousness!
Father,
Keep me abiding in You so that I will be ready to produce Your fruit. Spirit, grow Your fruit in me. Draw me ever closer so that in that day, You will know me and recognize my fruit.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment