Friday, June 4, 2010

Finish Well

II Tim. 4:7-8

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on the Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing."

Paul's life is his summation. He has been a teacher and a mentor who never asked his student to do what he did not personally do first. By observing Paul's life, Timothy's training was impacted visually, much like it is when I read a narrative account in the Bible or a biography of a great Christian. I know that many times as I have read these accounts, the light has turned on in my brain. I get great insight into how a Biblical principle plays out in my life.

He fought. He finished, and he kept, all very strong, action verbs. His Christian life was characterized by movement not stagnation. As I remember the images from Chapter 2, I see that these three statements are the end results of each one of those word pictures. First,, he encouraged Timothy to be a soldier. As a soldier, Paul had fought an intense battle with the powers of darkness. He had finished his fight as a good soldier of the cross. Secondly, he finished the race as an athlete who had followed the rules. Finally, he kept the faith with the endurance of a farmer whose crop was harvested and who's now blessed with the reward of his labors. What great pictures for me to remember as I live and walk in the Spirit! Timothy not only saw Paul's walk first hand, but he had vivid images that would remain with him for the rest of his life.

'Henceforth' is a word not often used today, but it so aptly conveys Paul's meaning. Because of Paul's lifestyle, because of his obedience, and because of his commitment, he had a crown reserved for him. I think that believers today dwell more with the words 'grace' and 'forgiveness' than with concepts of accountability and reward. Accountability and reward can be unpleasant things to consider if there is doubt about personal performance. Yet, Paul was not afraid. The Spirit had been his constant companion, guide, and power for his battle, his race, and his labor. Because he had lived a godly life suffering intense persecution, he would receive the crown of righteousness. Who gets this crown? Would I have to be in the 'Paul' class? No, it says it is reserved for all those who love His appearing. It just hit me! If I were living like Paul did, I would love His appearing. Paul had not grasped this world's system in any way, shape, or form. He totally lived for the world to come. Perhaps, that is why believers today are not longing for His appearing in the same way. How can my longing grow when I still long for things in this world? How can my longing grow when I have not made Him and the Spirit walk my only priority? Hard questions!

The righteous Judge will award this crown. Obviously, God knows who has loved His appearing! I don't even think that there will be a word spoken. One look will say it all. I will stand either as Paul confidently anticipating, or as one suffering a degree of loss though safely there. [I Cor. 3:15] I know God's righteous judgment operates at the same time as His grace and mercy since it is purely by grace that I am even there standing before the Judge. It is His grace that has allowed me to serve as a soldier, an athlete, and a farmer. It is his grace that grows in me an intense love for His appearing. My life is by grace alone! What do I do with the crown? In my mind, I think it will be a Rev. 4:10 situation, '"they cast their crowns before the throne, saying, " Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power..." Wow! What an exciting scene! What a time of rejoicing! Even as I sit here thinking about it, my heart gets excited.

Father,
Flood me with Your grace so that I may live like this, that I may follow these examples and that I may unclench my grasp on the world's 'delicacies'. Keep my eyes ever focused on You and Your will for my life. Spirit, You will have to reveal to me when I am losing it and hindering the growth of my love for His appearing. Convict me! Keep You fire ever burning in me!
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment