Friday, March 2, 2012

Continual Worship

Lev. 6:13
Fire shall be kept burning on the altar continually; it shall not go out.

What a myriad of instructions about the burnt offering, the grain offering, the sin offering, the ordination offering, and the peace offering! For me the massive amount of detail in these offerings only further displays God's attention to detail and His desire for obedience, but more than that it clarifies how magnificient Jesus' once-for-all sacrifice was. In His one act of obedience and humility, He became the perfect sacrifice that negated the use of all others. For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. He has no need like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since He did this once for all when He offered up himself. For the law appoins men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever. What a gift of grace!

But what about the continuous fire? In the Old Testament it was a special exhortation to the priest to be faithful in their duties so that the worship of the Lord would continue uninterrupted. For me, I see this in the quality of my relationship to God through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. At Pentecost, the Spirit came down in flames of fire. He brings the fervency and the heat of the Father into my soul. As I live according to the Spirit's leading, I am to be fervent in Spirit, not grieving or quenching Him or His work in my life.  His ministry in my life, [teaching me, convicting me, and bringing all things to my remembrance] will keep my fire of worship continuous. A continuous fire means constant abiding. Abide in me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, neither can you unless you abide in me. Without me, You can do nothing. There it is! Without Him, I can do nothing, that includes continuous worship. God commands worship and then gives me the wherewithal to obey! What a great God I worship!

Father,
Enlighten the eyes of my heart so that I might continuously worship You. Unite my heart to fear Your name. Teach me to abide and function only in Your power and strength.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment