Monday, March 5, 2012

Wisdom is Justified by her Deeds

Matt. 11:19c
Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.

That is the truth of it! John the Baptist came neither eating or drinking, and the crowds and religious leaders said he had a demon. Jesus came eating and drinking, and they called him a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners! Mankind is implacable most of the time! In fact they are like children sitting in the marketplace calling to their friends, We played the flute for you, and you did not dance, we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn. I mean the very Son of God was there, preaching, healing, teaching, and even raising some from the dead, yet it wasn't enough to change their beliefs or their lives. They did not receive the message in any type of wisdom, in fact, they threw away their chance for salvation. Their apathy ( lack of belief and commitment) demonstrated the wisdom of their thinking.

In how many other situations would this statement apply? How many times do I listen to good advice and ignore it? How many times do I read Scripture, get convicted, and yet never obey or make a life change? How many times do I feel the prompting of the Spirit and yet ignore it and go about my own way? I think that might be the crux of the statement. For wisdom to be justified by her deeds in my life, it would mean listening to someone else and giving up my own selfish way. In the case of the Spirit's leading, it would mean confession, repentance, surrender, and obedience. This wisdom is definitely the wisdom from above. The wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, and sincere, and a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. Here is a life full of deeds not just thoughts or intentions!

Father,
Teach me to have Your wisdom from above. Make this life style a reality in my life. Unite my heart to fear Your name as You teach me Your way and Your truth.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment