Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Heart

Prov. 27:19
As in water face reflects face, so the heart of man reflects the man.  

My heart is the true reflection of my life, not my actions or the face that I put on for others to see. Perhaps this is the reason that the home is the battleground of life. It is there that the true person is not afraid to reveal himself or herself.  It is there that selfish desires are paramount and fight to be met. So it seems that what must be changed is the heart! Obviously, salvation changes the heart and should change the life, but for many Christians the flesh still rules most of the time. Why? Certainly, there are the Rom. 7 issues, and as long as I am here on this earth I will always be plagued by my old nature, but at my ready access is confession and repentance. There should be continual growth in sanctification. Yet beyond that, hasn't Jesus said that I am no longer enslaved by sin. His death and resurrection has given me victory. So why don't I claim that victory as I should? Why, at times, does the flesh still look so enticing?

 I think it is because of what I treasure. For where you treasure is, there your heart will be also. It seems simple when I say it. If I treasure my way, my rights, my time, and my whatever, then my heart and my life will reflect that. I will be conflicting with anyone or anything getting in the way of my treasure or the enjoyment of my treasure. But instead I should lay up for myself treasures in heaven. My focus and my heart need a priority change, a huge transformation. I need to be transformed by the renewal of my mind, that by testing I may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable, and perfect. Of course, I want to live like that. What Christian wouldn't say that they want that? So what is the problem? Perhaps it is the testing! Do I desire the radical testing that will truly change my life? Can I really let go of my flesh and my fleshly desires? Surrender is a hard thing! I believe it too must be a gift of grace! Thank God His power is made perfect in weakness because weakness controls my flesh! Thank God He knows what I am made of and still reached out to save me!

Father,
Give me strength for the journey and for Your radical transformation. Make me who You want me to be so that I might bring You glory and honor. I want my heart and my life to be united with You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment