Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Crumbs

Mt. 15:27
She said, Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.

A Canaanite woman from the region of Tyre and Sidon came out following Jesus crying out for mercy for her daughter who was severely oppressed by a demon, but Jesus did not answer her. The text does not say why. (Perhaps Jesus was wanting to show the disciples an example of great faith.) She soon became a bother to the disciples, and they begged Jesus to send her away. Jesus told her that He was sent to the house of Israel to restore those lost sheep. Then using a metaphor, He said it wasn't right to take the children's bread (the message from Israel) and give it to the dogs (people who were outside the covenant relationship). But she answered in that same metaphor, saying that even the dogs eat the crumbs from the Masters' tables. Jesus declared her faith great! Her request was granted. Her daughter was healed. What am amazing story!

First, I see the intensity and fervor of her request. Even though she was not a Jew, she went for it even to the point of becoming a bother. She was willing to cross boundaries and social conventions to connect with Jesus. Being socially acceptable was not her concern! She was persuaded beyond the shadow of a doubt that Jesus had the power she needed for her daughter. She believed and this belief focused her actions! Secondly, I see that Jesus was willing to cross those same boundaries to meet her faith. When someone believes in Jesus and has faith in His power, He will answer their need. He doesn't withhold from those who truly seek Him and His power. How intense is my desire to see the mandates of the Bible made a reality in my life? How strong is my faith and belief in the power of Jesus to save and to sanctify? How far does my fervor go or am I content to live in a mediocre way? Finally, I see the response of the disciples. She was a bother to them and they just wanted her gone. What is my response to those people who are outside my comfort zone, to those people who are bothersome? Do I just want them gone and out of my life, or do I see them as sheep without a shepherd? Am I willing to bring them to Jesus and join in their cries for help and salvation? Am I willing to intercede for them or does that even cross my mind? Do I consider some people a lost cause, somehow beyond redemption?


Father,
Build in me this same intensity so that I might reach out to those who are lost and struggling. Help me to be fervent for You. Open my eyes to the souls of these lost one. Give me a heart of compassion.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment