Thursday, March 29, 2012

Uphold the Lord as Holy

Num. 27:12-14
The LORD said to Moses, "Go up into this mountain of Abarim and see the land that I have given to the people of Israel. When you have seen it, you also shall be gathered to your people, as your brother Aaron was, because you rebelled against my word in the wilderness of Zin when the congregation quarreled, failing to uphold me as holy at the waters before their eyes." (These are the waters of Meribah of Kadesh in the wilderness of Zin.)

When I read this passage several years ago, it was at the time that I found out I had been misdiagnosed with a degenerating spinal disease, when in fact I had had an untreated broken foot. I had even taken high powered anti-inflammatory drugs for several years in treatment for this disease. After seeking a second opinion, the truth was revealed. How did I respond to this news? Certainly I was thankful for the true facts to surface, but part of me was ticked off and wanted to vent. My family gathered for lunch and to make plans for hypothetical law suits (never to materialize) and many unkind exclamations! It was with my heart full of grumbling and venting that I read what God said to Moses. His Spirit taught me a pointed lesson that I will never forget! Was I upholding God as holy before my family? Were my words bringing glory to His name, or was I questioning His sovereign will and plan over my life? What example were my life and words showing my children and my grandchildren? God not only spoke harshly to Moses, but he was not allowed to go into the promised land over this incident. From a human standpoint, it seems like one incident as compared to the many times he interceded for grumbling and complaining Israel, yet in God's eyes, it was one too many. Was God holding Moses to a higher standard because of the closeness and intimacy of their relationship? Regardless, Moses did not fight it or whine about the outcome. He accepted what God said. (He had learned the lesson!) Certainly, that is what God desires. He wants me to accept what comes into my life as coming from His hand. He is teaching me to see all the details of my life (even the negative and seemingly unjust ones) as coming from His hand, the hand of a sovereign God whose will and plan are for my good. All things are His servants! He wants me to uphold Him as holy before all those He places in my life. He is concerned with my holiness, with my sanctification and not with my comfort!

Father,
Teach me to trust You and see Your hand in all the details of my life. Change my mind, heart, and attitude as I view life. Guide me as I uphold You as holy before those You place in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment