Monday, March 12, 2012

The Proverbs 31 Woman

Prov. 31:30
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

An excellent wife is a things to be treasured! Who wouldn't want to be one? Who wouldn't desire such character, strength of character, and ingenuity? She is certainly more precious than jewels!
What are her physical qualities?
  • willing worker with her hands (wool and flax-to me those speak of cloth, clothing, etc.)
  • secures proper food even if from a great distance (provider, cook, quality of food)
  • willing to travel to accomplish her goals (the domain of her home covered many miles)
  • willing to lose sleep to provide for her family (not concerned with beauty sleep)
  • secures land and vineyards and manages the property (domain is not just in the house)
  • regularly uses the distaff and spindle (turn raw materials into usable fabrics)
  • makes blankets and quilts, linen garments and sashes which she sells (home business)
  • supplements family income, brings in gain (a true helpmate)
What are her character qualities?
  • trustworthy (heart of her husband secure)
  • does her husband good her entire life (doesn't tire of the relationship)
  • is strong and carries herself like someone who is strong (not a weak, fainting type)
  • knows she is a good business woman (not to be taken advantage of)
  • cares for the needy and poor (thinks of others beyond her own family)
  • unafraid of bad weather (family properly prepared)
  • known for her strength and dignity (reputation matches her true character),
  • opens her mouth with wisdom ( is not a busybody or gossip)
  • teaching of kindness identifies her speech (wisdom from above, gentle and open to reason)
  • not idle but responsible (redeeming the time)
What are the lasting results of her work and her character?
  • her husband is known in the gates (her life has increased his value and made him respected)
  • her children call her blessed (great relationship with each child, nurtured their spirits)
  • her husband praises her (comes willingly from his heart to hers)
  • the fruit of her hands will praise her in the gates (her life is fruitful, lived for others)
What are the overriding principles that I can learn from her life?
  • Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain. There were no verses concerned with her beauty or the pursuit of beauty and charm. What she gained, she gained through wisdom, strength, and dignity. Character and industry were her watchwords! 
  • A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. This was her single motivation, and out of her fear of the Lord, she became a godly and efficient wife, mother, and provider. God was her inner core. He gave her the strength to become all she should be.
  • Many have done well, but this woman surpassed them all. She had the entire package!
Is is possible to have it all together? As I read this chapter, I wonder. But thank God His power is made perfect in weakness, and His grace is my sufficiency even in being a wife and mother. As I look back over my life, I am so thankful that He is sovereign and all of life did not hinge on my successes and failures. I also see that I tried to do these things in my own strength, and no doubt that was my biggest flaw. God wants me to be this woman, but this woman energized totally by Him! His grace and power working through me to minister to the needs of others, family, friends, and the needy.

Father,
Thank You for this woman who shows me what I should be. Help me first to fear You above all else so that my words will be grace to others as Your words have been grace to me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment