Saturday, March 24, 2012

The End of the Matter

Ecc. 12:11-14
The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Certainly earthly wisdom has its merits! This wisdom gained from experience, observation, and searching is like a goad, a sharpened stick poking me and keeping me from straying from my daily duties, from wandering off the proper path, and from ignoring the established boundaries. They are the nails firmly fixed providing my stability as I navigate the waters of life, some smooth and some tumultuous. Yet Solomon saw that this wealth of wisdom had definite limits, limits that wearied his flesh and always proved to be vanity, a striving after wind.

What is man to do? Where is meaning and relevance for life? The answer to Solomon's extensive search came in one valid statement:  Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Man's relevance is found only in God, in his response and relationship to God! This is his whole duty! So simple, yet man makes it so complex. Foolishly, he spends most of his time trying to make gains, recoup losses, accumulate wealth and prestige without ever a consideration for his soul or his soul's destiny. But the one thing that is valid 100% of the time is that God will bring every deed into judgment. When God examines a life, how valid is his preoccupation with this earth's system? Does it count for anything? Sadly, it counts for nothing. Just imagine living an entire life, working and striving, gaining and losing, and finally dying only to find out it was all for nothing!! 

Even as a believer, the world's system is tempting and enticing, appealing to my flesh and gratifying self. I must Watch and pray that I do not enter into temptation. Watch and pray! Examine my heart and my motives! Look at what I value, what I spend my time on, who I serve, and what I am accumulating! Am I fearing God and making Him the most important thing in my life? Am I obedient to His call? Am I counting my life and this life as loss so that I might gain the surpassing value of knowing Jesus? Am I pressing on to make Him my own because He has made me His? Am I straining on for the goal of the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus?

Father,
Take my taste for this world away. Give me the desire to eat only of Your good grace so that I will fear You and obey Your words.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment