Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Reward

Prov. 22:4
The reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.

Reward speaks of treasure, of what a person values and aspires to achieve. Even though this verse speaks of riches (something often pursued by the world), honor (prestige and position), and life (a long time to enjoy your reward), I don't think that is what it is talking about at all. Any person who truly understood humility would not desire earthly riches, honor, or life. Jesus was our greatest example of humility. He was obedient to death on a cross keeping His eyes focused only on the joy that was set before Him. He wasn't aspiring to gain worldly prestige or power, instead He was reconciling sinners to the Father through the sacrifice of His own life. What kind of honor and life is that? His reward was to return to heaven and to bring with Him the first of many brethren.

What is my reward for my humility and fear of the Lord? It is the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe according to the working of His great might. We have  this treasure in a jar of clay to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We have humbling momentary light afflictions to prepare us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. We can draw near in confidence to the throne of grace to find grace and mercy in time of need. We are freely invited to share the yoke of Jesus and learn of Him, for He is gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. My riches are the indestructible and unstealable treasures of heaven. For where my treasure is there is my heart! They are the riches of His grace that He perfects in my weakness on a moment by moment basis,and my honor is being called by His name, being one of His brethren, being a child of God, and an adopted one who can call the Father, Abba. My life is transformed and rooted only and always in Him. With riches, honor, and life like this, it makes what the world has to offer look shabby and tawdry. It is only in Him that I am satisfied with good so that my youth is renewed like the eagles.

Father,
My heart is full with rich blessings. Thank you for making me Your child and giving me such a life and purpose. Teach me to live as You would have me to.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment