Saturday, March 10, 2012

I Am the Lord

Ex. 19:2
 ...You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.

Ex. 19 gives the reason for obedience to the commandments and laws that God has put in place for Israel. They now are associated with the person of God, with His holiness. His people are to reflect His holiness. The chapter repeats I am the Lord your God sixteen times!
  • Revere your parents and keep the Sabbath for I am the Lord your God.
  • Don't make idols for I am the Lord your God.
  • When you offer a peace offering, it must be acceptable or it profanes the holiness of God.
  • When you reap the harvest, leave the edge for the poor for I am the Lord your God.
  • You shall not steal, lie, or swear falsely and so profane the name of God for I am the Lord your God.
  • You shall not oppress or rob your neighbor, interfere with the wages of a hired servant, or curse the deaf or blind, but fear Your God, for I am the Lord your God.
  • You shall do no injustice in court, not be partial to poor, or stand against the life of your neighbor for I am the Lord your God.
  • You shall not hate your brother in your heart or bear a grudge against your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself for I am the Lord your God.
  • You shall keep my statutes for I am the Lord your God.
  • Your shall not eat flesh with blood, interpret omens, tell fortunes, round off the hair on your temple, mar the edge of your beard, make cuts on your bodies, or tattoos for I am the Lord you God.  
  • Don't profane your daughter by making her a prostitute for I am the Lord your God.
  • Do not turn to mediums for I am the Lord your God.
  • Honor the gray hairs and the old, and you shall fear God for I am the Lord your God.
  • Do no wrong to strangers for I am the Lord your God.
  • Do no wrong in weights and balances for I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt. You shall observe all my statutes and all my rules, and do them; I am the Lord.
I think the question is answered beyond the shadow of a doubt. Why does Israel obey the rules, statutes, and laws? Because He is the Lord their God.

What is the reason for my obedience to the Word of God? Is the reason the same? I Pet. 1:14-16 says As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as He who  called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, You shall be holy, for I am holy. I am to be radically different as well. No doubt the areas of my obedience are different, but the world around me should see a visual difference in how I life, what I do, how I think, what I value, what I spend my time on, etc. As Jesus impacts my life in every area, I reflect God's holiness because He dwells within me in the person of His Holy Spirit. My body is His temple. Not only that but I am a child of God. If God is my Father, there should be a family resemblance! A resemblance that resounds holiness!!

Father,
Teach me to be holy as You are. Grow me so that I might shine forth Your love. Keep my obedience meaningfully related to You and Your holiness.
In Jesus' name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment