Saturday, March 17, 2012

Who is the Greatest?

Mt. 18:2-6
And calling to him a child, He put him in the midst of them  and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.   Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

The disciples had asked the all-important question, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? What kind of question was that? What was it revealing about their hearts? Perhaps there was vying for position or jealousy between the disciples. Had they noticed that some of them were drawing closer to Jesus than others were? Even into this specifically chosen group of men who were with Jesus constantly, fleshly feelings were surfacing. How strong is the flesh! How insidious is that battle! How important it is to guard my heart against feelings that would take me down! Do I want to be noticed? Do I want some credit for what I do? If I do, then my motivation is askew. I am not functioning under grace but under the guise of my own self-sufficiency. Am I serving Him with purity of heart and singleness of purpose?

Jesus answered their question, and no doubt, the true question in their hearts in such a creative way. He brought a child into the conversation as a life-size object lesson. He then proceeded to tell them that they must be like children. What?? A child and humility...how can this be? The kingdom of God is for those who humbly come to Him with the faith of a dependent child. I am sure that this child had nothing to offer to these men, no great insight into this situation, and that is what Jesus wanted them to see. He doesn't want my input or my intelligence. He desires my dependent and humble reliance of Him for all that I do and say.

Then going beyond His object lesson, Jesus stresses the importance of not being a hindrance to these children in the faith. How would I be a hindrance? Perhaps by destroying their faith in God, a faith that is single-minded and trusting. What is my trust like? What would distinguish a child-like faith from one that is adult-minded? I think that the biggest thing would skepticism or cynicism. Adults are often jaded from seeing so much of the bad side of people while children see the good more readily. Not only that but children believe what they are told, often being thought of as gullible. Just think, God wants me to be gullible for Him, to believe His words beyond a shadow of a doubt. To truly have the faith of a child is nearly possible. Once I am jaded, how can I go back? Thankfully, what is humanly impossible is possible with God. When He gives me new life in Christ, He gives me His grace and faith. He transforms me by the renewing of my mind. He makes me a child of His! What amazing grace!

Father,
As I serve You, keep Your eye on my motives. Lead me and reveal to me the true matters of my heart so that I may always be right with You. Make me gullible for You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment